Thursday, April 9, 2009

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I listened to this novel as an unabridged audio book. That may explain my response. While the premise is riveting and the ending heartbreaking, there were times when I was ready to abandon the novel because of the whiny voices of both protagonists. Often the issues that cause greatest heartbreak seem so trivial. I acknowledge that that may be the point, and that teens often exaggerate their miseries, yet as I listened I couldn’t help feeling annoyed. And the other teens – the bullies, mean girls, and users – are so awful they border on cartoons. Teen suicide is such an important topic and so rarely addressed that any reasonable attempt to present teens with a perspective on the issue is welcomed, which is why I feel this novel should be on YA lists, despite its flaws.


View all my reviews.

No comments: