Sunday, November 4, 2012

Helping After the Storm

I've been feeling helpless since Superstorm Sandy hit one of my favorite places in the world, and I suspect a lot of you share that feeling.

I'm a native New Yorker. I was born in Manhattan and schooled on the upper west side. At various times in life I've lived way downtown near Wall Street, in Greenwich Village, in midtown on the east side, on 79th and Central Park West, and on 111th and Riverside Drive. I have family and friends all over New York and New Jersey, some who are still without power.

A few who've lost everything.

Some generous kidlit folks have already begun to raise funds for the American Red Cross and other organizations. Kate Messner has founded KidLitCares featuring an astonishing array of terrific auction items - you can benefit the Red Cross and win something to help your writing/illustrating career.

My friend Jeri Smith-Ready has taken an inventive approach: you give a little to relief - she suggests the Red Cross, the Humane Society, and AmeriCares - and she'll give you something awesome for your troubles.

Here in the Wardrobe I'd like to offer something, too. For the rest of the month of November, for anyone who comments on any blog post here I'll make a donation to the American Red Cross.

If you tell me you've donated to any Sandy relief organization at all - and I'm going to take it on faith - I'll send you a handful of bookmarks.

At the end of the month, the names of everyone who has commented and donated will be thrown into the hat and the winner will receive a signed copy of SIRENS, which is set in New York City.

All you have to do is comment. And, if you want, make a donation.

Rules, again:


  • For your comment, I'll make a donation to the American Red Cross.
  • For your comment plus your assurance you've made any donation to any relief organization, you get swag plus I make my donation (contact info please so I can get your snail mail addy; US addresses only.)
  • All commenters/donators will be eligible to win a copy of SIRENS.


Thank you.

4 comments:

Joanne Levy said...

Janet, thanks so much for this and for featuring KidLit Cares - I am so touched by how the writing community has come together.

Swati said...

Janet,
What a wonderful idea. Thank you for helping!

Karina said...

Amazing work you're doing Janet! I've inspired me to donate too! Thank you!

Janet Fox said...

Joanne, Swati, and Karina - Thank you so much!! You are awesome, and I know so many people who will thank you - starting right here. (Had one friend today who told me she cried when the power went out again during this latest storm. This is hard for so many.)

Huge hugs - j