Saturday, August 9, 2014

Fun News! My Middle-Grade Debut Novel

The news is now out that my debut middle grade novel CHATELAINE: THE THIRTEENTH CHARM has been acquired in a pre-empt by Kendra Levin of Viking, for a winter 2016 release. I'm very excited, as I love this book and my main character, Kat, and I'm eager to share them with the world.

Here's a synopsis:

CHATELAINE is a middle-grade novel set in a rundown Scottish castle during WWII. The lady of the manor has set it up as a temporary boarding school for children escaping the Blitz. But something is not right with that castle or that lady, and the children begin disappearing one by one. There are clues that hint that a spy is in the house; there are signs that can't be denied that there is a sinister magic. It's a race against the clock for one girl, her two younger siblings, and her new best friend to get to the bottom of things.

So...World War II, spies, ghosts, magic, a witch, a creepy castle, steampunk, children in danger, an "enigma machine", a magician who may live forever, the Scottish Highlands...

I've made a little video sneak-peek. Let me know what you think!



8 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Congratulations, Janet!!! Yay for middle grade. :) (Funny, as we just watched Braveheart last night... bagpipes on my mind.) xo

Janet Fox said...

Thanks so much, Irene! I adore bagpipes. I think I'll have to find a way to weave them in...:)

jan godown annino said...

WOWZA! Charmed by this post Janet. Brava! & more.
Visited Scotland once on a side trip from London & will luv to visit again through your character & fabulous story. Still have my wool sweater I bought & my Nessie stuff. LOL
Very happy about this. And I gave your name to the Nerdy Chicks Write Summer School gals, who may invite you to post as a guest faculty member next summer, BTW. Hope the bear has stayed a bit away?

Jan/Bookseedstudio

Janet Fox said...

Hi Jan - Many, many thanks! Yes, I'm taking a repeat trip to Scotland this fall and - especially now - I can't wait.

No more bears here for now...:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Janet! Sounds like a lot of fun (and steampunk is so cool). I have only one problem: winter 2016 is too far away!

Janet Fox said...

Ha!

Annie, it does take forever. But I'll try to fill the void with some teasers and maybe even small excerpts...:)

darlenebeckjacobson said...

Hi Janet, This teaser definitely whets the appetite for more. I love the music and look forward to learning more about the story.
Darlene

Janet Fox said...

Thank you so much, Darlene!!