Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year and VCFA!

As the new year rolls in, I'm beginning to get ready for the next residency at VCFA. I've gotten my booklet of fellow student workshop works and read about half of them, and - wow - I continue to be impressed with the quality of the writing here. The workshops are, for me, one of the highlights of the residency: nerve-wracking at times, when you are being critiqued (you have to remain silent the entire time); and challenging as you look for ways to say what you really mean about someone else's work.

Just like last time, I'm a little nervous about the residency. Why? Who knows? I love the people; I love the place; I love the intensity. Maybe it's the feeling of being surrounded by such talent. I ask myself all the time - why didn't I do this earlier?

Well, it was impossible earlier. My son is just now of an age that he can manage entirely on his own. I'm really proud of him - he had some challenges and he's risen above them.

Happy New Year everyone - may you be as blessed as I feel!

No comments: