Sunday, March 29, 2009

Book Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



rating: 5 of 5 stars

I didn’t want to like this novel. A dystopian society that controls its population by pitting children against one another in life and death public combat is not my idea of a fun place to spend time. But – I was hooked from the first, and once in, I could not put The Hunger Games down. Collins’s pacing is tight, stemming from her straighforward sentence structure and sparse but effective description. Her world is believable, and she sprinkles masterful touches throughout (“tracker jackers” are killer wasps; “muttations” or “mutts” are dog-like mutants; details – names, images – evoke ancient Rome.) I’m itching to get my hands on the sequel.


View all my reviews.

No comments: