Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chicago, My Home Town!

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago. At the time, Hinsdale was a quiet little place surrounded by corn fields. The street I lived on was paved with bricks, and my first sound memories are of the rumble-rumble-rumble of tires, punctuated by the mournful horns of trains in the night not far away. My dad was the rector of the church next door, Grace Episcopal, and I felt safe, loved, and content.

My elementary school, Oak School, was brand new, and plopped down in the middle of said corn, with only a few ranch houses scattered around. Mrs. Weber, my third grade teacher, may be directly responsible for my writing career, because she sent a poem I wrote into the Hinsdale Doings, and it was published. I can still remember the moment.

The house I grew up in.
I'm going back to Chicago tomorrow, not for the first time, because my stepmom lives there, but for my first real author visit. I'm kind of excited and kind of nervous (as in, "prove yourself, kid"). If you live in Chicago-land, I hope I get a chance to see you at one of these events!

Sunday, April 7 - I'm speaking at my dad's church. This will be a truly humbling moment.

Monday, April 8 - Two presentations at Neuqua Valley High School Gold Campus - 7:45-8:30, and 8:35-9:20.

Wednesday, April 10 - 4PM- 5:30PM Book Signing at The Book Cellar on North Lincoln Ave., with authors T.M. Goeglein, M. Molly Backes, and James Kennedy - and pizza!

also on April 10 - 7PM-9PM Speaking at Cook County SCBWI monthly meeting

Thursday, April 11 - visiting my old elementary school, Oak School! Arriving 8:25AM.




2 comments:

Swati said...

Have a great time and say hi to molly for me! I'm sure you'll stun them all.

Janet Fox said...

Hey, friend!! You know Molly? I will say hi! Can't wait to see you again - hugs!