Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mindy McGinnis' Debut Novel: NOT A DROP TO DRINK

Today I'm delighted to welcome Mindy McGinnis, who has written a dramatic story: "a survival tale set in a world with very little fresh water." A fabulous concept and I fear all too possible. Here's Mindy:

Congratulations on the publication of your novel, NOT A DROP TO DRINK. As a student of science, I'm fascinated by your topic, and think you may be prescient. Can you tell us a bit about the story and what inspired it?

Unfortunately, I think I might be too! A lot of people have asked me about the inspiration for the book, and the truth is that it came from a dream. But the scary truth behind it is that the dream occurred after I watched a documentary called BLUEGOLD, which is about the very real possibility of a freshwater shortage.


How long have you been writing for children/teens? Have you written other books or is this your first effort?

I actually began by writing for adults, and I wrote three books that weren't publishable. Serendipity landed me in a job as a YA librarian, after which I realized that I was surrounded by my audience and immersed in the market -- -why not write YA?

Can you describe your path to the publication of NOT A DROP TO DRINK? 

It was a ten year path, but mostly because I was starting in the wrong place. I landed my agent, Adriann Ranta, only after I realized I needed to do research and that just having talent wasn't the key. Even after having an agent, I was on submission for six months. Patience is key, in everything.

Do you have any advice for beginning writers?

Do your homework. Don't be afraid of the business side. You need to know what you're doing before you jump into this crazy game.

Can you tell us something about your personal life – inspirations, plans for the future, goals, etc.?

I knew from a young age that I wanted to be a writer, but I also knew better than to hang a shingle on it. So I found a day job that I knew I could be happy in first. I think that's key to being a happy person, regardless of whether you land the pie-in-the-sky writer gig.

Do you have any new writing ventures underway?

I recently signed another two book deal with Katerine Tegen books for two YA books to be released in 2015 and 2016.

Do you have a website where readers can learn more about NOT A DROP TO DRINK? 




No comments: